Pumpkin Kale Pasta
(this recipe is vegan)
Ingredients for Pasta:
12 oz whole wheat pasta
10 kale leaves
2 tbsp. extra virgin oil
16 sage leaves, chopped
3 tsp. fresh thyme leaves or ½ tsp dried thyme
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp. tomato paste
1 ½ cup pumpkin puree or sweet potato puree
1 ½ cup non-dairy milk like coconut or almond
1 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste
Ingredients for the topping
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
12 fresh sage leaves, julienned
5 tbsp. breadcrumbs or coarsely ground cashews or pumpkin seeds
a generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to instructions. Drain and keep aside.
- Remove kale stems with fingers and place in compost.
- Cut kale into ½ inch ribbons. Set aside.
- Cut sage for pasta into ½ inch strips.
- Remove thyme leaves from stems and place in small bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat oil at medium low heat. Add sage, thyme and garlic and cook until garlic and herbs change color slightly. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Add kale and cook until slightly wilted.
- Add tomato paste and pumpkin and mix in. Add milk, salt and pepper and mix in. Bring to a boil. Taste and adjust salt.
- Add cooked pasta, toss well. Cover and take off heat. Let sit for a few minutes.
- In food processor, blend sage leaves and pumpkin seeds coarsely.
- In a small skillet, add oil and heat at medium.
- Add sage and pumpkin seed mixture and cook until golden and toasted.
- Add salt and pepper and mix in.
- Use to garnish the pasta generously.